This is Carolyn’s second time on the podcast, and I’m super excited to be chatting with her all the way from Livingstone, Zambia near Victoria Falls. Since the last time that Carolyn was on the podcast, she’s taught yoga in India, Angola and now she’s in Zambia teaching yoga and running yoga retreats.
One of the many things I love about Carolyn is her sense of adventure, and how with each move that she makes, she gets one step closer to her goal of opening a yoga and dance retreat. Her choice to move to Zambia is no different.
On this episode, Carolyn shares how she found yoga teaching jobs in Luanda, Angola, how she chooses where to travel to find teaching jobs, and what brought her to Zambia. She also shares how she has been able to set up up a continuous yoga retreat in Zambia, and what she has learned through this experience.
If you are considering starting a yoga retreat, and especially one in an international country, you don’t want to miss this episode!
Business Lessons from this Episode:
- Put yourself out there if you want to teach in a new place
- Word of mouth is the best way to get teaching gigs in a new place
- When you are looking at teaching abroad, consider supply and demand in the place you’re going
- Finding opportunities on Workaway
- Look at the value that you are providing and that is being provided for you – a monetary exchange isn’t the only way to exchange a product / service
- How to create a yoga retreat in a foreign country and include local guides, food, products, etc.
- The biggest challenge of leading a yoga retreat in another country is understanding the culture there
- A retreat is a great way to introduce yourself to a new country
- Word of mouth marketing is a great way to spread the word on things you’re doing
- Book Yoga Retreats is a great way to promote your retreat
- And much more… Here’s the episode!
Connect with Carolyn:
Photos from Zambia: