David Moreno is a California based yoga teacher who has been in and around the yoga industry for over 30 years. David came to yoga from a dance background and fell in love with it to the point that he knew he needed to teach.
David and I start out the interview by chatting about how the yoga industry has changed over the last few years. We chat about how when he started teaching, it was much easier to become an international yoga teacher. Now, the market is much more saturated and you have to sell people on why they should pay you for your offering. David gives a few tips on how to expand your offerings to international trips, and shares how he has transitioned from the traditional yoga retreat offering to what he calls “travel trips”.
David is currently offering his next travel trip in Petra, so he shares the planning is like for a trip like, the marketing process, and how to ensure that everything goes smoothly in a developing country.
- Build a following
- Be dedicated and have your own integrity and commitment to the process
- When you first start leading retreats, co-leading can be a helpful way to learn + build confidence
- Start small – for whom and for when
- You become an administrator as well as a teacher when you decide to lead retreats
- Running a travel trip is different than running a yoga retreat at a retreat center
- Get people who like to travel – use yoga as a centering piece
- You never know who is going to be at your retreats – everyone is usually amazing, but there can be challenging people
- Things usually work out well, and being honest and open with the people on your tour is important
- Can be tough managing your energy levels – a personal practice + meditation are helpful for managing energy levels
- Give yourself time to get over jet lag
- Look at the key things to do in a country and form the trip around that
- And much more… Here’s the episode!
Connect with David:
Photos of David:
I’m test piloting a new portion of my business where I’m offering complimentary 30 minute coaching sessions. Whether you want to chat about getting a job as a yoga teacher, running a retreat, or starting / expanding a yoga studio, I would love to support you! Book your free call here.